Friday, January 18, 2013

Spare the plastics! But then what?




For the past week I've been beating the pavement,
trying to interest small shops in Manhattan Beach to sell my soap.  Nobody has come back to me yet, which is understandable considering that I'm attempting to sell at the worst time of year - just after Christmas.

Comments from retailers have been valuable and I've made adjustments accordingly.  However, this afternoon a shop owner told me that my packaging is 'darn cute', but that it will go grubby after only 10 people handle it.  I'm trying desperately to keep my packaging free from plastics, but I'm not sure that is going to be possible.  


On my square soaps, I am currently using jute and twine, with paper card stock and labeling.  It allows the customer to partially see the product, and most especially SMELL it.  Seeing and smelling are critical. 

On my circular soaps I am folding over a coffee filter and wrapping it in twine.


How can I grubby-proof my packaging without going with plastic?





No comments:

Post a Comment